WHO: For parents of teen and young adult treatment clients
WHAT: Add-in enhancement to family services provided by treatment facilities
WHERE: Parents work on the course from the convenience of their own home, on their favorite mobile device
• Parents can begin the course the moment their child begins treatment!
• Parents work the course on their own time, at their own pace
WHY: Improve treatment outcomes through effective parent support
Watch, listen and learn with Jim Savage as he explores what really makes “rehab work.”
Interactive discussion sections and tasks to improve treatment support
Discussion forums for class to post questions, receive feedback from Jim Savage
MODULE I: PREPARING FOR TREATMENT SUCCESS (4 hours)
Take charge of your child's treatment by becoming an "educated consumer":
• Avoid "user error" by learning what your child is learning in treatment
• Setting boundaries
• Making your child take responsibility for his or her own recovery
MODULE II: "WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?" (4 hours) (coming soon)
Treatment success starts by being clear about the problem that's being treated:
• Substance Use Disorder: Diagnosis and terminology
• Definition and characteristics of addiction
• What parents can do to support the treatment plan
Module II includes a comprehensive section addressing the growing problem of misinformation
about marijuana and the resultant denial seen with current cannabis attitudes and trends.
• Harmful effects
• Potential for addiction
• How to respond when they say "There's nothing wrong with smoking pot. It's legal in Colorado!"
MODULE III: BUILDING A SOLID FOUNDATION FOR RECOVERY (4 hours) (coming soon)
Make sure your child is making effective progress by knowing what to look for:
• Moving from denial to motivation for change
• Making sure the treatment plan is being followed:
a. Professional care: The continuum of care
b. Peer-based support (12-Step recovery, SMART Recovery, etc.)
c. Lifestyle changes (relapse prevention)
MODULE IV: FAMILY RECOVERY (4 hours) (coming soon)
Create a family system that supports recovery:
• The "family systems" approach to addiction treatment
• What is codependency?
• Understanding Al-Anon
• Success versus sabotage
• The Big Picture
The course consists of four modules that cover everything from setting healthy boundaries and helping parents take control of their child’s treatment to learning what recovery should look like and establishing their own recovery.